Saturday, October 9, 2010

Prologue (modified a bit for blog):

             The passerby stared at me in disgust. It was raining heavily(I don't quite like the "cats and dogs" phrase, one of the few million things i don't like) and it's not like i told him i wouldn't let him under my terribly conspicuous green umbrella. Dressed in  too-baggy trousers and a denim jacket covering most of my favorite Van Heusen shirt, with one hand inside my jacket protecting my precious cargo, the other was twirling the umbrella around unnecessarily acting like a turbine tossing the rain water on people around me. An usual amount fell on my friend here who gave me a dirty look and kept walking. I mouthed a sorry and kept walking and twirling.

            I folded my umbrella carefully, sheathed it  and put it inside my bag. It was a dorky looking umbrella, green and flowery and i didn't want anyone laughing at it... Not today! I waved at the obese MBA student who boarded the bus along with me everyday and kept quiet today because there was a feeling in my stomach which was quite similar to not having one at all. The iPod chose this moment to play "Bed of roses" by Bon Jovi. I tugged the earphones out and stuffed it back in my pocket, i couldn't stand the damn song(don't get me wrong, i love Bon Jovi... different reason different story.. .we'll get there we'll get there). I was feeling queasy all over like i was a first time suicide bomber(What the heck, they are all first time!).

           A fog horn startled me out of my reverie. My college bus's horn sounded like hagrid's brother(can't spell that damn name even if my life depended on it) blowing his giant nose during a bout of influenza. The bus screeched to a halt and i started having second thoughts. A lot of what ifs came into my head. I shook them off my head(read as tried to shake them off). I'd been saying what if for two years now, i told myself. Desmond Hume from LOST was telling me, "you can do it brotha!". Yeah right, just what i needed, delusions of a half mad raving lunatic from a tv show egging me on(but hey! everybody loves desmond!).

           I allowed the fat bloke to waddle into the bus and gave him two mins to clear the path for me, the driver looked at me and honked extra hard. The way he was pressing it, it was as if it was my nose there. Shuddering i climbed in. In one swift, fluid movement i knelt on one knee, gasped inwardly at the sudden pain shooting through, removed the bunch of daisies hidden inside my denim coat raised it to eye level, noticed my ID card's tag hanging ignominiously to the edge of a daisy, hastily let it fall to the floor, raised a gruff voice which sounded like axl rose having a throatache, and said, "******(censored to add suspense to the rest of the story, this is just a prologue you cheap gits!) I love you!"
.........

1 comment: