Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chapter One:Noobs

            "Dude, she's like the prettiest girl in college man!", I said. We were all hanging out like we did every evening playing 'kick-ball' and the even weirder than that was we inevitably chose to talk right when the ball was ours to be passed.
            "Dude, that's what you said three weeks ago when you saw what's-her-name?", Jonathan knocked the ball neatly over to Ashy. Grinning broadly like the Cheshire cat Ashy passed the ball over to Marki. I envied him for it. If there was another of those million things I hated(remember the prologue?) it was smiling. Simply because I looked like a complete ass whenever I smiled or grinned.
            "The IPL is freaking rigged man", Marki declared. The ball soared and went directly for Ajay who remained impeccably stationary. The ball bounced of his head and rocketed upwards again.
            "NOOB!", Ajay cried indignantly.
            Okay now I owe the "not-abnormal" reader an explanation. We were a bunch of (okay most of us are going to disagree to this, but it is the truth) nerds. Though we were the coolest bunch of nerds you would ever come across if that is any consolation. And as you probably realised we weren't the normal bunch of teens( more about that during the course of the story) and we didn't use the normal "idiot" or the more realistic swear word (sorry guys, thanks to my new year's resolution this is a swear word free zone). "Noob" was our one word replacement to all other forms of insults. Just so that you know, it essentially means something close to "rank-amateur".
            Nishant made a terribly big deal of keeping the ball in play(We had to keep kicking it before it bounced on the ground and the one who let it bounce was out. If you hadn't figured that out yet, heaven help you) oblivious to Ajay's discomfort,"Dude let him talk about the girl man."
            The ball flew neatly over to Dins, KABOOM! A cannonball would have travelled slower. The ball flew at light-speed to Rahul who was so busy staring at the exact opposite direction that it hit the small on his back and knocked him over cleanly. "That's a foul, I want a redo...."
          
             I was walking back to my room thinking about the new girl in college. Well she wasn't exactly new but I'd only noticed her now thanks to her. Girls, I thought, can't live with them, can't live without them. I was rudely brought out of my clichéd stream of thought by my room-mates harsh voice. "Dude, where you been?"
            I looked up. Sam was staring at me, he took a puff of his cigarette and blew a smoke ring in the air. I watched the ring go up in the air. Things like that always amused me. "If I had a penny for the number of times I've asked you not to smoke indoors..."
            "What?"
             "I said don't smoke inside the damn room!"
             "What was that crap you blabbered earlier?"
             "It's the same thing", my tone was getting more and more irritable.
             "What were you doing for so long?"
              "Hanging out with friends"
              "How come I've never seen them", Sam wanted to know, he was taking the last puff of his cigarette.
              "Who are you, my mother? If you wanna smoke indoors again, find a new room!", I turned the light off, plonked myself in bed and fell asleep almost immediately.
          

No comments:

Post a Comment